Have you got what it takes to tackle the climate crisis?
The British Council and Co-operation Ireland are calling for young, inspired people from across the island of Ireland to join our Active Citizens: Social action for climate change programme and take action on the biggest issue facing our planet.
Make your idea become reality
Young people across the world perceive climate change as the biggest global challenge facing our world today.
Through Active Citizens: Social action for climate change, the British Council is giving young people in six European countries and the UK the chance to address this challenge.
Successful applicants in Ireland and Northern Ireland will be able to turn their innovative ideas for sustainability into reality. Through the Active Citizens model and decades of expertise in social change projects within Co-operation Ireland and British Council, you’ll be able to build local and international connections, develop skills and have the exposure to ensure your ideas make a difference.
Be at the heart of an international movement
Active Citizens: Social action for climate change is part of the British Council’s global programme around the COP26 international climate change conference, which takes place in Glasgow in November 2021. The British Council is working with partners across the whole of the UK and worldwide to support the success and legacy of COP26 by creating opportunities for cooperation, dialogue and action that address the shared challenges of climate change. Active Citizens projects are running in 22 countries (including Ireland and NI) – meaning you’ll be part of a global team of young people with
the passion to take social action on environmental issues and climate change.
Apply now for Active Citizens: Social action for climate change
- Ireland/Northern Ireland online training dates – 22, 24, 26, 29 and 31 March, 4-7pm.
- Expression of interest deadline – 15 March.
- Participation is free and open to all.
- Have an interest in creating a better future.
- Want to develop your confidence, or just have your voice heard.
- Want to build project management skills and work on a real campaign for change.
- You must be between 18-30 years old.
- You must be able dedicate 10-15 hours per week for a period of two weeks to participate in the online training in March (see dates above).
- By the end of the workshops, you will be expected to carry out group social actions in line with the project vision and supported by the facilitators
What kind of person should apply:
You should have:
- active experience of participation in youth groups, youth projects or volunteering;
- good project planning, leadership and coordination skills;
- a strong sense of local and national culture and identity;
- knowledge and understanding of your local community;
- a strong sense of responsibility towards sustainable development, climate change and / or environmental protection;
- appreciation of difference and are open to working with people from diverse backgrounds, identities and communities.
How to apply: By 15 March 2021, please send an expression of interest email with
your name, age, location, email address and short biography (approx. 100 words). The biography should detail any past projects, paid / voluntary work and social issues you are passionate about tackling.
Please entitle your email: Expression of Interest-Active Citizens Programme and send to [email protected]
We will then follow-up to confirm your participation in the programme and send you a registration form for the training.
Please contact [email protected]